Adware is a malicious program that infects your machine and tries to spam you with countless ads. In many cases, it works only when you are using your browser. However, there are some programs that may display ads even on your desktop.
A MAC machine can be infected by one of such apps when you either install an unverified program or an extension for one of your apps like Safari or Chrome. Adware can be also installed by marketing companies as part of software packages.
When the system is infected, you will often notice the following:
– Regularly appearing ads and pop-ups;
– Weird behavior of your browsers;
– Redirect to unwanted URLs;
– Changing home and start pages;
– Suggestions to install third-party programs out of nowhere.
In order to get rid of adware, you will need to install an adware remover. There are several programs that are effective and cheap.
Systweak Anti-Malware for MAC
This program is one of the best in the market. Thanks to its complex anti-malware engine, the app quickly identifies a variety of threats including adware, spyware, and trojan viruses. An incomplete list of features includes:
– Regular updates of virus databases;
– One-click fast scan procedures;
– Scanning browsers, extensions, and plug-ins;
– Scheduled scans and log reports with details for even greater security;
– Clean and simple interface;
– Full compatibility with the latest version of OS X.
Choose any form of the scan to search for viruses and spyware whenever you want. It is one of the best solutions for casual MAC users.
Bitdefender for MAC
As one of the most famous antivirus developers out there, Bitdefender is a provider of reliable products capable of protecting your machine from unauthorized access and adware. The heuristic algorithm identifies threats quickly and reliably. Here are some of the features that might interest you:
– Removal of pop-ups and annoying ads in Safari and Chrome;
– Removal of spyware, adware, and malware;
– Protection from various cyber threats including ransomware;
– Full compatibility with Mac OS X.
Avira Free Antivirus
When it comes to cheap and reliable solutions, Avira is certainly amongst the best choices out there. You can install it for free and use the basic functionality without paying a dime. If you need more features, you will have to buy the premium version, but many users don’t really need them. Here are some great features:
– Easy to install, use, and customize;
– Additional utility functions like one-click system repair;
– Continuous online protection;
– Regular logs containing important security information.