Apple Mac personal computers are less susceptible to malware than Windows computers. However, if it comes to Internet threats such as online espionage, geo-blocking of content, web censorship, tracking of personal data and others, then VPNs become a necessity for Mac users also.
Which VPN Service to Choose for My Mac?
Depending on your goals, this or that VPN service may be useful for you. In terms of performance, server location, data transfer rate and the encryption protocols used, large VPN providers have much in common. However, a few visible differences may be useful for a particular purpose.
For example, not all VPNs are suitable for streaming playback. Despite the work of marketers whose goal is to convince the buyer of the versatility of their product, we recommend spending a little time and exploring the options available. It is best if you use a VPN service with a money-back guarantee or a trial period.
If you need to use a VPN for torrent, the best choice would be services providing a wide selection of P2P servers, OpenVPN protocol with 256-bit AES encryption, and unlimited bandwidth.
In general, for a quality service that ensures confidentiality, it is worth adding the convenient location of the headquarters and the absence of user activity logs to the above requirements.
Set Up a Virtual Private Network on Mac
In this manual, we will describe the process of connecting to a VPN server using standard MacOS tools. Please note that to connect you need to get the IP address, login, and passwords of the corresponding VPN server.
– Open System Preferences and in the window that opens, click on the Network icon.
– Next, you need to create a new network connection by clicking on “+”
– In the Interface line, select VPN.
– In the VPN Type line, select L2TP over IPSec.
– Next, if you wish, set the service name and click Create.
– In the new window, fill in the account name, IP address, and account name issued from the VPN operator.
– Click on Show VPN status in the menu bar to quickly enable and disable the VPN if necessary.
– Click on Authentication Settings, and then specify the pre-shared key and user password.
– Select OK and click Apply in the lower right corner.
– Click Advanced … and check the box next to Send all traffic over VPN.
– With VPN setup on Mac completed, you can click Connect. A new icon with connection status appears in the panel of the Dock application launcher.
Install a Third-party VPN Application on Mac
Configuring a VPN application using a third-party application is a simple process that does not require special skills, and only requires a minimum of actions that do not take much time.
– At your discretion, select the appropriate VPN provider. Currently, there are many VPN services offering anonymous access to the Internet. We recommend using paid services for better data protection.
– Depending on your chosen VPN provider, you will need to buy one of the proposed tariff plans. Do not forget to read the terms and methods of payment, as well as check for a guarantee period for a refund.
– Launch the installer and install the application of the VPN provider of your choice on your Mac. In some cases, you may need to give permission to install individual program components.
– After installation is complete, launch the application. Depending on the provider, you will be presented with a wide list of servers from different countries to connect to the VPN. Connect as you wish.
Do not forget to check the status of the VPN connection on the main screen of the application. For a more detailed check of your connection, you can use special online services such as whatismyipaddress.com.
Free or Paid VPN?
Both paid and free VPN services are designed to attract money. Paid services earn money through the sale of tariff plans and invest part of the proceeds in self-improvement and service. Free VPNs earn from advertising and selling personal data to third parties.
In most cases, free VPN servers are very overloaded, so the data transfer rate is low. In addition, free VPNs use outdated encryption methods that are not able to provide reliable protection. We advise you to not neglect security requirements and use a proven paid VPN service.