A virtual private network (VPN) is used to hide traffic from the provider, to transmit encrypted data, and to keep work and personal traffic confidential. Safe use of social networks, shopping in online stores, safe use of public Wi-Fi networks – all of this is part of VPN functions.
Regardless of the scenario and user needs, setting up a VPN on a computer running Windows 10 is quite simple.
VPN Setup Instructions for Windows 10
Windows 10 has a built-in and easily customizable VPN client. The main component of the VPN client setup process is the availability of an active paid or free VPN service. Check out the instructions below to set up a virtual private network on Windows 10.
1.Press Win+I on a keyboard, use the Start menu or go to the Quick Actions section to open the VPN tab.
2. In the VPN window, click Add a VPN connection.
3. In the VPN provider line, select Windows (built-in).
4. The name of the connection is chosen arbitrarily at your discretion.
5. Regarding the IP or URL and its name, the VPN service provider provides this information. This information can be found in the VPN client area.
6. To log in, select User name and password and set the username and password of your account.
7. In order not to enter your data each time after reloading, at the bottom of the page click Remember my sign-in info.
8. Click Save.
9. A new VPN connection has been created, to connect, go to the VPN tab, select the connection you just created and click Connect.
10. By going to Advanced options you can change the parameters of the VPN connection or delete it.
Configure VPN on Windows 10 with OpenVPN
In this set of instructions, we will tell you how to set up a VPN connection using the secure and reliable OpenVPN protocol in Windows 10.
1. Download the latest version of OpenVPN for the Windows operating system.
2. Launch the installer by right-clicking and selecting Run as administrator.
3. In the User Account Control window, allow the application to make changes.
4. Set the default program leaving all settings as is or making the necessary changes.
5. Now, after the successful installation of OpenVPN, you need to download the configuration files for the desired VPN server.
6. Open the page of your VPN provider and go to the OpenVPN configuration generator.
7. Select the Windows operating system, and then select the UDP protocol and the VPN server location.
8. Create .ovpn configuration files and download them to your computer.
9. Open the OpenVPN folder (by default, Program Files is located on drive C) and copy the downloaded .ovpn files to the config folder.
10. Launch the OpenVPN program and after that open the Quick Actions center.
11. Right-click on OpenVPN and click Connect.
Install a Paid VPN Serviceon Windows 10
If you do not have the time to explore the intricacies of your network settings, the types of protocols and encryption for your Windows 10 device, we recommend that you take a closer look at installing a third-party VPN application. Almost every popular VPN provider has its own software that can be used on all types of devices.
– Find and download the VPN application on your Windows 10 device at your discretion. Then you need to select the appropriate VPN service for further work on the Internet.
– Depending on which VPN provider you have chosen, you will have the opportunity to buy a plan or use a limited free subscription. Do not forget to read the terms of payment and money-back guarantee.
– After downloading the VPN application to your computer, start installing it. Open the installation file and follow the instructions. It is recommended that you pay attention to the installation of auxiliary components of the application.
– Open the installed application and log in. Explore the program interface and select the appropriate VPN server for safe Internet surfing.